Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bison - Who Knew?

DS worked at a restaurant that went out of business, and they gave what food they had in stock to the employees on the last night. DS brought home 6 pounds of ground bison. I was skeptical as I don't like "wild game," but I caved and tried it. OMG, it's DELICIOUS! And, apparently better for you than beef...


"Buffalo (American Bison) meat is sweeter in flavor and leaner than beef. Bison meat is also healthier than skinless chicken, pork, lamb and even some fish, especially if you consider the mercury levels in fish nowadays. There is little shrinkage in bison meat, and because there is less fat to insulate the bison meat, it cooks faster than beef. Furthermore, in comparison to grain-fed beef, buffalo meat contains 69% more iron and higher levels of vitamins, minerals and omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids, which help promote a healthy metabolism."

I wonder why it's not more readily available to the public?

4 comments:

Lisa & Alfie said...

Who knew indeed? Does it taste somewhat like beef? I had heard it was good for you.
Lisa & Alfie

andsewon said...

Now I think we need to let our grocery store meat dept folks know we NEED this.
Course I am betting not cheap!!
Enjoy your Freebie!!
Lola

xstitcher said...

Am thinking that bison is not as adbundant as beef so it's most likely more expensive.

Anonymous said...

Who would think something so ugly would be so good!!!lol Not sure I can bring myself to try it; my husbands family has been trying for years to slip game meat past me! I always know! Well maybe I'll try it if you say its good!lol I think my Weis Market had it?or was that buffalo? Have a great weekend - Sincerely, Jeannette